Fibre optic networks are a technology that is used by specialists in many countries of the world. They apply not only within countries, but also at the level of inter-country and intercontinental channels. Fibre optic is a tool that internet users use in their homes and apartments. At the same time, FTTB technology is one of the most popular technologies among providers and is in high demand among Internet users.
The name of this technology describes the very essence of its structure and connection. You should consider the installation process to understand how the system works:
- fibre optic channel passes from a network node (branched or main one) to a building with subscribers that must be connected to the Internet;
- cable is placed in the router, which has ports to connect simultaneously a large number of subscribers;
- with the aid of a twisted pair, each subscriber can be connected individually.
Providers that connect individuals to the Internet provide services such as:
- broadband internet access via FTTB technology at high speed;
- TV in digital format with a large number of channels (more than 100);
- internet-based telephony.
FTTB technology forms the infrastructure of the ring model in the type of star shape. So, there is the possibility of building a network that is flexible and scalable. It will also meet all safety requirements and will be inexpensive.
Features of connection
The cost of fibre-optic cables is high, so these services are mainly provided by well-known providers. Internet via FTTB technology can be connected if it is possible to physically bring optic fibre to the subscriber. Also, the user must have the hardware to connect to. If the technical conditions are already in place, then the wiring goes on to the stage of copper cable or wireless connection.
Strengths and weaknesses of FTTB technology
This technology has both weaknesses and strengths. You can learn about both of these factors to get comprehensive information about this technology. Among the strengths of this technology:
- fast signal transmission is without interruption due to the direct connection of the server with the subscriber’s home;
- data can be transmitted at speeds up to 600 Mbit/s, and it does not lose quality, subscribers can use both Internet access and communication services;
- audio and video files are downloaded quickly enough;
- a large number of users who use the Internet at the same time.
There are some weaknesses too:
- risk of equipment vandalism in residential areas;
- the speed of connection depends on how many subscribers are on the network;
- you can only connect to users who live in the city and are inaccessible to the private sector;
- wired Internet via FTTB technology is a tool that helps all users connect to the global network at high speed, thanks to the constant development of Internet technologies, there are opinions that new technological capabilities are expected in the near future.
Wired Internet via FTTB technology is a tool that helps all users connect to the global network at high speed. Thanks to the constant development of Internet technologies, there are opinions that new technological capabilities are expected in the near future.